High-Capacity Satellite System
Continuously growing demand for broadband is indisputable. Total global bandwidth consumption is doubling every two to three years. Our purpose-built, high-capacity satellite system is designed to grow with that demand, boosting service speeds and providing more bandwidth capacity and throughput to satisfy every customer on the network.
In 2012, we launched the new high-capacity (high throughput) era in satellite broadband with Viasat-1, still the highest capacity satellite in the world, as it began providing commercial services over North America. But Viasat-1 was only the first step for a new high-capacity Ka-band system architecture that is focused on continuous transformation in the economics and quality of satellite broadband services
- Ten times the throughput of any previous Ka-band satellite
- Only system to economically deliver internet multimedia
- In-orbit costs per gigabyte only a fraction of other satellites
- New ability to compete with terrestrial broadband IP services – about 40% of new residential subscribers have other alternatives
- Always outpacing the capacity of Ku-band
Viasat-2 – Shattering the Coverage or Capacity Myth
Launched June 1, 2017, ViaSat-2 was designed to combine both deep, high-capacity bandwidth and wide coverage, and flexibility to move bandwidth to where demand requires it. Challenging the conventional wisdom that our system had focused only on total capacity at the expense of wide area coverage, Viasat-2 is designed to double the bandwidth economics advantage of Viasat-1, double the throughput, and provide seven times the coverage.
Providing Access to the Best Available Network Worldwide
Viasat-2 will be our first big step toward spreading high-capacity coverage worldwide for fixed broadband and mobility services for aviation and maritime. We already operate a global Ku-band network for thousands of mobile customers, including government and commercial aircraft as well as sea-going vessels.
Working with partners, we’re now overlaying high-capacity coverage on our network in a similar manner to the build-out of 4G LTE mobile wireless on top of previous 2G and 3G services. As part of the plan, Viasat-2 will include coverage bridging the North Atlantic, adding contiguous high-capacity coverage over all of North America, Europe, and the Mediterranean basin together with our partner Eutelsat. We invite you to become a partner in your part of the world.
To enable customers to seamlessly gain access to the "best available network" as they roam, we’re now offering the first combination Ku/Ka terminals.
The Next Generation - Global Bandwidth for All
- Delivering a 100+ Megabit per second (Mbps) residential internet service, enabling 4K ultra-high definition video streaming.
- Supporting aircraft with hundreds of Mbps of in-flight connectivity services and video streaming for commercial airlines, business jets, and high-value government transport.
- Providing up to 1-Gigabit per second (Gbps) speeds for use in maritime, oceanic and other corporate enterprise applications such as oil and gas platforms.
- Offering affordable satellite Wi-Fi connectivity to the billions of unconnected people in emerging markets.
The links below will take you to more detail about our Ka-band ground systems and terminals for a variety of consumer, enterprise, and government applications.